The Charminar, built in 1591 CE, is a monument and mosque located in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India. The landmark has become a global icon of Hyderabad,
listed among the most recognized structures of India. The Charminar is on the east bank of Musi river. To the northeast lies the Laad Bazaar and in the west
end lies the granite-made richly ornamented Makkah Masjid.
The English name is a transliteration and combination of the Urdu words Char and Minar, translating to "Four Towers"; the eponymous towers are ornate
minarets attached and supported by four grand arches.
Early in the 1580's the 5th ruler of Golconda Sultanate, Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah planned to shift his capital 5 miles (8.0 km) away from Golkonda and commissioned a new capital city to be constructed by Raja Ram Jagirdar,on the south-west banks of the Musi River.3,12 Shortly after Qutb Shah had shifted his capital from Golkonda to what is now known as Hyderabad, the Charminar is the first structure to be constructed. Though the Charminar lacks a foundation inscription and date of its construction is specifically unknown, multiple myths had been recorded by the historical travellers, academic scholars and historians. Some of the popular myths that are in close accord with the monument's architectural actual appearance are as follows; more....